Extreme Cheapskates: Meet frugal couple who 'share same dental floss'
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 15:35 EST, 2 October 2013 | UPDATED: 17:10 EST, 2 October 2013
A couple have revealed the frugal bathroom routine that saves them hundreds of dollars each year.
Karissa and Rick Parran from Atlanta, Georgia, who star on season two of TLC's Extreme Cheapskates, airing later this month, take two minute-long showers together, limit the number of toilet flushes, and share all of the same toiletries - from toothbrushes to razors - in a bid to minimize household expenses.
'We're so cheap that we share our tooth floss,' Mr Parran, 33, reveals in a trailer for a show, while one of the couple's friends admits, out of earshot, that he finds their cost-cutting regime 'gross'.
Scroll down for video
Frugal: Karissa and Rick Parran from Atlanta, Georgia, say they save hundreds of dollars each year by taking showers together and sharing all of the same toiletries - including dental floss
The Parrans claim that they have halved their monthly water bill since adopting their penny-pinching measures.
Their electricity bill has also dropped and they spend considerably less on toiletries.
'Rick uses the suds from my hair on
his hair . . . it's like two for one on the shampoo,' 26-year-old Mrs Parran says, adding that one bottle of shampoo lasts eight months between the two of them.
Over to you, dear: 'Rick uses the suds from my hair on his hair, it's like two for one on the shampoo,' Mrs Parran says - one bottle apparently lasts them eight months as a result
Overjoyed: The Parrans claim that they have managed to halve their monthly water bill
To make their razors last longer they have a sharpening machine.
'It'll last several months instead of a couple of weeks,' Mr Parran chimes.
He adds that he lets his wife shave under her armpits first, before he takes the same razor to his face.
Mrs Parrans estimate that this ritual saves them $200 a year, in razors alone.
Patiently waiting: Once Mrs Parran has used one side of the cotton swab to clean her ears, Mr Parran uses the other - one of the couple's friends describes their bathroom routine as 'gross'
Despite being one of the cheaper toiletries to buy, the Parrans even insist on using the same cottons swabs.
'Kris will use one end and then when she's done I'll use the other.'
And with deodorant, they each use the same stick, limiting themselves to 'one wipe per armpit.'
Also to appear on season two of Extreme Cheapskates is Torski, a Virginia mother who completes the majority of her housework between the hours of midnight and 5am to take advantage of lower electricity rates and a firefighter who books his daughter’s sweet sixteen at a strip club because he got a 'great deal.'
Season two of Extreme Cheapskates premieres with back-to-back episodes on Wednesday, October 23 at 9pm ET
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Flames shot more than five-feet into the airThe accident and ensuing blaze consumed six-figures worth of alcoholOfficials say the accident happened when the elderly driver's ...
- Deerfield student: Whit Sheppard 'who was sexually abused at elite boarding school reveals his identity'
- Star Spangled Streaker! President's Cup livened up by almost-nude gatecrasher as America romps home to victory...and she managed to escape arrest
- Kerry Kennedy and daughter Mariah Cuomo soak up the sun on family yacht off the coast of Ischia in Italy
- Trio brutally beat man just because he accidentally stepped in their picture
- Airline makes passengers' Christmas wishes come true in icky PR stunt as one child gets a tablet and a young family a big screen TV while one poor man ends up with just socks and underwear
- Hallucinogenic drug used in Shamanic ceremonies sweeping the country and users say the 'journey' is far stronger than magic mushrooms, LSD and ketamine
- 'I was going to fund my daughter's wedding in Hawaii, but I figured this Samsung TV would last much longer': Amazon reviewers mock $40,000 flat screen
- Revealed: The five lifestyle rules that can beat dementia
- Want to remember an event? DON'T take photos of it: Study finds using a camera stops our brains recalling crucial details
- Ex-San Diego mayor Bob Filner sentenced to 90 days home confinement
- Side effects of the menopause could be cause by warring genes
- Porn star with HIV tried to book shoot AFTER knowing he was positive
- Ethel Anderson: Former 'teacher of the year' gets 38 years after sex with boy, 12
- George Zimmerman's girlfriend wants charges against him DROPPED